[NTLK] SkyGuide and other downsides of closed source

From: Sean Luke (sean_at_cs.gmu.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 16:53:14 EST

Someone recently mentioned interest in StarChart. I must say that I
have been VERY disappointed with the state of star charting software on
the Newton, particularly with regard to their binary-only
distributions. But first the review:

STAR CHART. Star Chart shows constellation information, but a very
limited number of stars. Of course, they're the most people in the city
can typically say. But that's about it. It's a very limited program.

SKY GUIDE. This one has lots more stars, plus magnitude information,
but (ARGH) nothing else: no constellation information, no specific
latitude/longitude, NO NAMES, no information about what the object is
(star, cluster, etc.). All this stuff is readily available in a billion
and a half databases online. Further, clicking on a star doesn't reveal
information about it -- it rotates the worldview, a function I think
very few would ever want to do. And there are limited options for
zooming, most of them poorly suited for Newton screens.

Now, I have no problem with the authors writing the apps as they did.
And it's wonderful that the apps are being given away as freeware. But
as a coder, I have a BIG problem with them not giving away the source
code, at this late date (and I've asked, at least for Sky Guide). Thus
not only are these frustratingly limited programs, but there's NO WAY
for me to modify them into better things. The only way I can make a
better version is to rewrite the whole dang thing from scratch, which is
too much effort to be worth it. At some point, without open source,
older platforms like ours will just die: the apps will cease to be
improved. We will stabilize into a static situation.

I can only think of two reasons why someone would release freeware in
binary distribution only. (1) intellectual property concerns -- maybe
they licensed something from someone in order to do the job, or maybe
they have a secret patented feature, or have some other valid reason to
not reveal algorithmic details. That's perfectly fine. (2) They're
embarrassed about their code. Hey, I've written sucky code as well.
That's just not a good justification. Beyond that, there's little
justification. Freeware Newton authors everywhere, I call on you to
free your source code!

Sean