[NTLK] Ethernet recommendation? (was: Re: looking to replace old powerbook with eMate)

From: Will (blue-dragon_at_tamu.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 20:49:57 EST

Thanks for the info, I'll look into them. Also, I just discovered that the
powerbook's ethernet card was not a Farallon EtherMac 595, like I thought it
was, but an EtherMac 595a, which is, according to the sources I've read, not
newton compatible. What would be a good, currently available (and hopefully
cheap!) ethernet card that has newton drivers?

On Wednesday 23 January 2002 07:29 pm, Patrick Jendraszak wrote:
> My son was in an identical situation, so he asked for an eMate for
> Christmas. I can recommend PowerOn Computers (www.poweron.com). They do
> not show eMates on their web site, but it just took a phone call to one
> of their sales people, Jamie O'Connor (joconnor_at_poweron.com) to find out
> that they had one.
>
> My son received it on Christmas and said it really fit his needs for
> college classes. However, after using it for about three weeks, it
> developed what was probably a display cable problem. The screen no
> longer responded to the pen writing or tapping, and then vertical lines
> developed over half the screen. PowerOn offers a ninety day warranty.
> So, he called PowerOn, got an RMA number, and I sent the eMate back for
> him on January 14 -- at no cost to me, but at PowerOn's request via Fed
> Ex. They replaced the unit with another, which I received on January 22.
> I thought it was great turn around!
>
> The units vary in terms of accessories. Each one had a pen and power
> supply. In each case, the battery appeared to hold a full charge. The
> first one had no manuals or software. The second came with all of the
> original manuals and software. They appear to come from schools in
> Australia.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Patrick
>
>    In matters of style, swim with the current;
>                in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
>                                                                  -Thomas
Jefferson

--
If puns are outlawed, only outlaws will have puns.

Will Reinhart blue-dragon_at_tamu.edu