Re: [NTLK] looking to replace old powerbook with eMate

From: Nathan Hunt (hamlet_sr_at_email.com)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 21:08:29 EST

>My son was in an identical situation, so he asked for an eMate for
>Christmas. I can recommend PowerOn Computers (www.poweron.com). They do
>not show eMates on their web site, but it just took a phone call to one
>of their sales people, Jamie O'Connor (joconnor_at_poweron.com) to find out
>that they had one.
>
>My son received it on Christmas and said it really fit his needs for
>college classes. However, after using it for about three weeks, it
>developed what was probably a display cable problem. The screen no
>longer responded to the pen writing or tapping, and then vertical lines
>developed over half the screen. PowerOn offers a ninety day warranty.
>So, he called PowerOn, got an RMA number, and I sent the eMate back for
>him on January 14 -- at no cost to me, but at PowerOn's request via Fed
>Ex. They replaced the unit with another, which I received on January 22.
>I thought it was great turn around!
>
>The units vary in terms of accessories. Each one had a pen and power
>supply. In each case, the battery appeared to hold a full charge. The
>first one had no manuals or software. The second came with all of the
>original manuals and software. They appear to come from schools in
>Australia.
>
>Good luck!
>
>Patrick
>
> In matters of style, swim with the current;
> in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
>
>-Thomas Jefferson
>
> T H I N K D I F F E R E N T
>
>On Wednesday, January 23, 2002, at 05:44 PM, Will wrote:
>

>> I bought an Apple PowerBook 5300c a few months ago intending to use it
>> for
>> note taking, email and light word processing. It didn't fit my needs
>> (too
>> heavy, and the battery won't survive a full day of classes) After a
>> little
>> more research on hand-held computers, it looks like an Apple eMate
>> might be
>> just what I need. Is there anyone on this list who wants to sell an
>> eMate,
>> or better yet, trade for a powerbook 5300c? (great condition, fully
>> upgraded,
>> with many extras - email me if you want full configuration details)
>>
>> --
>> If puns are outlawed, only outlaws will have puns.
>>
>> Will Reinhart
>> blue-dragon_at_tamu.edu

OUCH! I had to send my eMate back twice, and got a replacement each
time. Their refurbishing quality is apparently pretty poor, and a got
a half-melted stylus the 2nd time around. I don't think they have any
left currently, but you can always try.

--Nathan

--

,-----/----. | O | O | | / | | (__ | | \___|__/ | '-----\----' Some people say that I'm superficial, but that's just on the surface. On one hand, I'm indecisive; but on the other, I'm not. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's intolerance. Prejudiced people are all alike. Avoid cliches like the plague.