Re: [NTLK] eMate troubles - Help, please

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 08:20:37 EST

on 25/01/2002 1:23 AM, Paul Nuernberger at pen1_at_spiff.net wrote:

>=20
> IIRC the switch that puts the the unit to sleep when the lid closes is
> somehow related to the hinge. Are you putting the unit to sleep by closi=
ng
> the lid ? Also, check the preferences (in Extras Drawer) to see what th=
> sleep settings are.
>=20
> It is likely that a disassembly will be ultimately required. I have been
> fortunate with my eMate so far - only a crapped-out battery pack.
>=20
> Paul Nuernberger

Paul, I think you're probably right. A similar thought flitted dimly acros=
my mind last night just after sending my desperate posting. So I left the
eMate unplugged overnight with the lid open. This morning I pushed the
"power" button -- voil=E0! -- it woke right up with a full charge.

I guess my powers of observation are not quite up to Sherlock Holmes'
standards yet. Also, I should not have so quickly dismissed as chance the
fact that both problems started the same day. (In my own defence, I should
point out that the only time I have for thought and/or experimentation is 1=
0
p.m. to midnight each day, after the kids fall asleep and before I do!)

My next experiment will be to see whether putting it to sleep with the
keyboard switch first, then closing the lid, makes any difference.

I will take this eMate to the SONUG meeting this weekend and hope somebody
with experience can help me disassemble it. (Hi, Victor!)

If it turns out that the problem is with the lid-activited switch itself, d=
you think just disconnecting it is a viable option? Or is it more likely
that the switch itself is OK but perhaps it is staying depressed the whole
time that the lid is closed because of a mechanical problem with the lid or
hinge. I guess disassembly will tell.

Thanks a million!

Michael