[NTLK] ethertalk backup - pc

From: Josh Ormsby (ormsby_at_mpi.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 14:36:59 EST

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 20:56:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net>
Subject: Re: [NTLK] The Joy of EtherTalk Backups...

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Aron Hsiao wrote:

> I'd heard about BasiliskII, but never tried it. But finally
> today I pulled out my old Performa 475, saved the ROM to a
> floppy and installed BasiliskII + Mac OS 8.1 on my Linux
> box. It was a minor struggle to get it working with Red Hat
> 7.2, but I finally got the CVS version to compile and run
> cleanly. I installed NCU and set everything up for
> EtherTalk, both in BasiliskII and on my Newton 2100.
>
> I just did my first Newton backup over ethernet in Linux!
> And it was *soooooooo* fast... 4MB internal memory plus
> about 14MB on a card, all in about 3 minutes flat. No
> disconnects, no slowdowns, no crossing my fingers hoping
> it's going to work, no need to watch the diagonal stripes
> for a full 30 minutes.

Ah yes, it's fun, isn't it? :)

> I'm so stoked! ;) Everybody with Windows or Linux: go
> download BasiliskII, download Mac OS 7.5.3 from Apple, buy
> a $10 68k mac from some thrift store just for the ROM... so
> that you can run BasiliskII and use NCU like it was meant
> to be used. It's worth it. It's a thing of beauty.

Or, go to UNNA and grab the pre-installed already bootable HFS disk
image
there: It's already got MacOS 7.5.5 and some other stuff (30MB):

http://newyork.unna.org/unna/development/NewtonDev/macos755-boot.zip

--

I tried this today, but BasiliskII cannot read the ROM. How can I extract that from the 'macos775.dsk' file that i get when i uncompress the zipped OS7.5.5.

Thanks, Josh