Re: [NTLK] NCU-like software native MacOS X: what prevents it

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 19:31:15 EST

>On 2002-01-29 17:33, "Stephen Jendraszak" <stevehj_at_mac.com> wrote:
>
>> Apple (or the company's CEO, for that matter) has not killed the floppy,
>> serial devices, or SCSI. These devices are antiquated. The technology
>> (save for some special applications) had outlived it's useful life.
>
>Not at all. Floppies are still used by PC folks and are a very quick and
>dirty way to exchange small files. I personally haven't used them at home
>for years, but they would have come in handy last summer.

Until fireware, SCSI was the fastest option for easy external peripherals.
and firewire isn't widespread even yet.

I have yet to see an iMac or B/W G3 in any business or university without a
stupid floppy on a cable added on. Even with Novell or AppleshareIP
networking available.

And the hardware to lockdown your CPU just got one more piece that needs
purchased by the business/school; something to lock down that stupid
expensive floppy.

The 3rd party manufacturers must be wetting themselves with glee about SJ
leaving the floppy off new Macs. A $10 item going for $50-80.

Floppies will be useless someday; but not yet, for most people. I hate to
use them even at present, that's why I run my ftpd, most stuff I generate
would not fit on 20 floppies anyway, but face it, we're computer nerds, as
compared to the rest of the marketplace.