Re: [NTLK] Re - Proper site design

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 22:11:26 EST

Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de) wrote:

> I tested this with IE 6, Netscape 6, Opera 5 and 6 on the PC, and on all
> these browsers the afore mentioned elements are below each other and
> centered. Netscape 4.7 on the Mac layouts them in one line next to each
> other which scrambles the whole layout of the left frame. Netscape 5.x on
> the Mac is slightly better insofar that it at least puts the elements
> below each other, but some of them aren't centered.
> I've been looking at this code until my eyes hurt, and I still think this
> is a pure and simple html table done by the book.

While I can't identify the exact problem, it appears that you use some
rather complex HTML (tables within tables) for a quite straight-forward
layout. If you can't find the error, simplify the code -- it often helps.

> While you are at it, I'm also in for a tip regarding why the iCab browser
> (which I hadn't heard of until yesterday) appears to execute html code
> located between noframes tags quite merrily although it *does*
> support frames and frames are turned on.

The <noframes> element should go within the <frameset> element. Also
using "refresh" at that point is generally frowned upon. And <frameset>
doesn't belong within the <head> element.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW: http://michael-hussmann.de