Re: [NTLK] NCU-like software native MacOS X: what prevents it

From: bpearce_at_cloud9.net
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 16:04:55 EST

>> why does Apple support the cards in OS 9? I suspect there's some tiff
>> between Lucent and Apple that results in the customers losing.
>
>I suspect, instead, that Apple chose to focus instead on making drivers
>for other devices they do sell, rather that making modifications to the
>AirPort's driver to get it to work with a 3rd party card. Further, I
>don't think that Apple ever advertised that their OS 9 drivers worked
>with Lucent's cards... it was just a bonus, a happy coincidence.

It's slightly more than just a coincidence: the AirPort Base Station (the
original
version, at any rate) actually houses an off-the-shelf Lucent WaveLan
card! When
the Base Stations started shipping, and people started to tinker with them and
discovered this fact, there were tutorials on replacing the card with
more secure
off-the-shelf versions.

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net