Re: [NTLK] Q: CISCO PCMCIA FLASH

From: Andy Collins (acollins_at_newted.dyndns.org)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 05:20:04 EDT

Hi,

IIRC people have been using flash cards taken from Cisco routers for ages.
The only problems I've heard about relate to the life of he cards.

I think the router uses them to store routing info (unsurprisingly ;-) )
and this info can change frequently. As Flash memory has a limited number
of write cycles, they tend to wear out.
Obviously, this problem comes from the use of the card, not the card
itself. So, if the card is new, it should last just as long as any other,
non-Cicso card. If it's pulled from a router it could be on its last legs.

As an after thought... Could Cisco have changed to ATA cards? After all,
they must be facing the same problems as the Newties in finding linear
cards. Hmmm could be.

On balance my advice would be not to risk it.

Cheers.

Andy.