Re: [NTLK] ANOTHER Original Newton prototype - now it's mine..

From: Grant [Optional Features] Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 15:00:10 EDT

In a previous message, Jim Witte typed vigorously:

>It's one of the first prototypes of the 110 form factor.

Actually, it's an OMP (original MessagePad) or MP100 form factor.

>I just found another prototype on Ebay:
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1363679856
>
>that includes manual and such things.. But it's mine now.. (buy low,
>sell high..) If anyone wants me to make a full report like the buyer of
>the Cadillac did, just ask..

Erm, Jim... I'm pretty sure what you bought is not a prototype, but
either an OMP or MP100 with all the trimmings. The "pen slot on the side
and the different bulge at the bottom of the screen" do not a prototype
make. All of the OMPs and MP100s had these physical features. I can
verify this, because I own several of each. What makes the other Newton a
prototype is the fact that the unit "...displays a warning that the
device is confidential property of Apple..." and "...a little sticker
which warns that the device had not been approved by the FCC..." As well,
prototype would not general come with all of the incidental marketing
fluff and user manuals.

I'd be happy for you if I was proven wrong about this, but you didn't get
a prototype. It's a very clean and seemingly complete OMP/MP100 package.

g.

Grant Hutchinson Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996. http://www.splorp.com/cam/
Now fortified with daily ramblings. http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain. http://www.splorp.com/newton/
Online community web site handyman. http://www.newted.net/