Re: [NTLK] OT humidity - solvents and solutes

From: Mark Ross (markr13_at_comcast.net)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 21:30:45 EDT

>> chemical forces that occur when a solvent (like water) dissolves
>> something. A solvent "latches on" to a molecule of the solute. That
>> is NOT
>> happening when water evaporates into the air.
>
> My first year chemistry is rusty, but what happens with a non-polar
>solvent?
>
>Jim

There are several forces that can occur between two materials. They are
really all the same, electronic attraction caused by various processes.
In non-polar materials, the solvation comes from Van der Waals forces
that occur when molecular election clouds have finite periods of
inhomogeneity. This temporary electron cloud distribution causes small
partial negative and positive regions, thereby permitting electronic
attraction between otherwise non-polar molecules.

Mark Ross
markr13_at_comcast.net