Re: [NTLK] Adventures in Programming Vol. 1

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 14:04:49 EDT

On 05/07/02 12:42, "Stephanie Maks" <newton_at_maksystems.com> wrote:

> Not sure if this was suggested already or not, but do you have a serial
> extension? I seem to recall that even if you never intend to use it, you
> need a serial extension to make the NTK happy. Like Apple modem tool, or
> Serial tool.
>
> -Stephanie
>
> http://www.felesmagus.com/newton/
>
>> 1) Is there some trick or special configuratiion
>> necessary to run NTK on a Mac running OS9.x??? When I
>> try to open it I get an error saying the program
>> couldn't be opened because of some "unknown error"
>> (man that message is annoying). I replaced all the
>> extensions and preferances in the right places and
>> even overwrote the newer one's with those that came
>> with NTK.....HELP....!!!

Yes, Stephanie is right. However, if you don't have a Macintosh with a
built-in serial port, you will need some kind of extension that would
provide a "virtual" serial port. I'm using an extension called "TCPSerial"
which, I think, provides a serial port over TCP/IP. I've never used it as
I'm always connecting through AppleTalk over Ethernet, but when NTK starts
and sees that there is a serial port, real or virtual, it just happily
launches.

And now that Stephanie is mentioning this, I think that this is the error
you get if you try to launch NTK without an available serial port. NCU is
more forgiving, as it will let you set the connection to AppleTalk (over
Ethernet), but NTK is not.

-Laurent.

dinosaur n.: 1. Any hardware requiring raised flooring and special power.
Used especially of old minis and mainframes, in contrast with newer
microprocessor-based machines. In a famous quote from the 1988 Unix EXPO,
Bill Joy compared the liquid-cooled mainframe in the massive IBM display
with a grazing dinosaur "with a truck outside pumping its bodily fluids
through it". IBM was not amused. Compare big iron; see also mainframe. 2.
[IBM] A very conservative user; a zipperhead.