[NTLK] Wireless: bliss never lasts..

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 04:43:45 EDT

   Well, after succeeding in connecting to the Interenet with a software
base station under OS 9, now I can't connect to *anything* wirelessly
under OS X. I tried fiddling with the basestation on/off setting booted
under 9 (it's not clear to me why that should have ANY effect on the
Classic environment, but apparently it's the base for some workaround to
get a software basestation to work in X) That didn't work. Tried
disabling the Airport extensions in Classic (on the assumption that
Classic doesn't know or care whether it's communicating over Ethernet or
Airport, it just passes TCP packets to OS X, which then dispenses them
on the correct interface). Didn't work either. Reinstalled a
bare-bones Classic system on another volume and tried that. No dice.
Finally on a tip that came over the list recently, I disabled Appletalk
support on the Ethernet configuration in OS X. And I would almost swear
that I had NCU working wirelessly in Classic earlier tonight!

   Next thing I'll try is a full reinstall OS X and Classic (it needs it
anyway) and get a new coy of NCU (every time I switch from 9 to X it
says that the preferences have an error of some kind, until I get rid of
them..)

   <Apple rant> Airport seems to be showing Apple's tendency to "weld the
hood shut" again. I'd really like to be able (in X or 9) to bring up a
monitor to see if there are any other 802.11 computers in the area
flinging packets my way, to see if I've even got a connection.. but
then, such a thing would basically be a packet sniffer, and Apple
probably doesn't want to make an official packet sniffer, for obvious
reasons.. [Apple iBook with Airport, the choize of the new hack3r
g3n3rat10n!!]) </rant>

Jim