Re: [NTLK] Will my 2000u charge NiMh batteries in the AA tray?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 11:28:15 EDT

On 08/07/02 11:16, "Steven" <steven_at_zenacon.com> wrote:

> I just received my 2000u and it came with the AA battery tray. I want to
> use some rechargeable NiMh AA's and was wondering if the unit will charge
> them when plugged into the AC?

Did you check the FAQ? Anyway, no, the Newton will not recharge them if they
are in the AA battery tray. The reason is that Apple did sell an NiMH
rechargeable battery pack. When you insert this rechargeable pack, there is
somekind of a little switch in the Newton that is activated so that the
Newton knows that this is a rechargeable pack. You wouldn't want to apply
voltage to regular AA batteries as they might explode. So, that's why when
you put the regular AA tray, the battery won't send any voltage to it and,
thus, won't recharge any rechargeable batteries in it. If you really want to
use them in your AA battery tray, you will have to recharge them in an
external charger.

-Laurent.

CLM /C-L-M/: [Sun: `Career Limiting Move'] 1. n. An action endangering one's
future prospects of getting plum projects and raises, and possibly one's
job: "His Halloween costume was a parody of his manager. He won the prize
for `best CLM'." 2. adj. Denotes extreme severity of a bug, discovered by a
customer and obviously missed earlier because of poor testing: "That's a CLM
bug!"