Re: [NTLK] Airport Base Station/M7601LL/B

From: Humphreys, David (URB) (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 12:32:23 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Lowrey Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 12:15 PM

Hello, I have an ibook with Mac OSX. I am thinking about purchasing an
Apple M7601LL/B AirPort Base Station. It allows up to 10 users and costs $149.95.

Other than not being 50 user what are the big differences and should I spring for the
Newer $299.00 model?

I plan to use it with my newton and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Richard

Airport FAQ:

Q: Which of the new features are available to existing AirPort customers through a software upgrade, and which are
available only with the new AirPort Base Station?
A: Upgrading your system to AirPort 2.0 software will provide additional functionality to both your card and your base
station. Your AirPort Card will be upgraded to support 128-bit encryption and will be compatible with Cisco access
points using LEAP. Customers using the original base station will receive AOL compatibility. Although AirPort 2.0 can
upgrade your existing AirPort Card to support 128-bit encryption, it cannot update the original base station, which will
remain at 40 bits. To host a 128-bit encrypted network, to use the RADIUS authentication protocol, or to have a second
Ethernet port, which is protected by the built-in firewall, you will need the new base station.

If any of these features are important to you then get the newer model.

Regards,

PCBman