Re: [NTLK] My 2 cents [was Re: article]

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 01:05:40 EDT

on 7/11/02 6:57 PM, Chet Johns at cjohns_at_mac.com wrote:

> Same with PCs. I know so many people who bought the HP desktop at walmart
> for $699 because they wanted a computer. Great startup model, it even came
> with a printer and can burn CDs. Sure it runs slower and has less hard drive
> space and memory but it was cheap. Sure they quietly gripe about how some
> cheap third party program keeps crashing or how many coasters they have
> burned and how much trouble they have connecting their digital camera but
> few of them have any thoughts of trading up for a faster, better model.

If you notice Apple's price breakpoints, you will see that they follow Dave
Thomas of Wendy's fame in product breakdown. Dave said that they introduced
the Wendy's Triple to their menu for one purpose. They knew that not many
people would actually buy the Triple, but when people would look at the
menu, they would see the Single and the Double, and say, well, I'm hungry,
but not that hungry, and the Double costs that bit more, so I'll get the
Single. With the Triple, people would look at them menu, and say, boy, I'm
hungry, and that Triple sure looks good, but it's so big and so expensive,
so I'll get the Double. :-) Sales of Doubles soared.

Apple has a similar price breakdown of the various lines of its products.
It's interesting, to say the least.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland