Re: [NTLK] NIE and OS

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 17:36:51 EDT

on 7/12/02 5:25 PM, Laurent Daudelin at laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com
wrote:

> On 12/07/02 17:18, "Peter Cameron" <pdwc_at_sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> What system update is required for Ethernet to work on the Newt?
>> I sent another list member a card with a backup of the necessary files
>> to use a 3CXE589ET card, but after he did a restore from the card the Newt
>> will not recognize the card. We've pretty much determined that it can't be
>> the card (he has three and they all give the same result). The files (3C589,
>> Farallon Enet, Newton Devices and NIE Ethernet) from NIE 2.0 are in extras
>> as they should be.
>> However, his Newt's OS is 2.1 (717006)-0. Is 2.1 (717260)-1 required for
>> this to work?
>
> Never heard that a system update was needed for Ethernet to work. You have
> to make sure that you already installed the core of Newton Internet Enabler
> (NIE), but that's pretty much it. And also make sure that the packages
> making up NIE are on the internal store. However, I fail to see why no
> external flash RAM card are no longer recognized...

    Sorry if I was unclear. It's the ethernet card that isn't being
recognized.
    I installed the files mentioned above on my backup Newt, tested it with
the 389E card, backed up the internal store to a 2MB card. I then brainwiped
my backup Newt and did a restore to see if this would properly install the
ethernet files ... It did.
    I then sent the 2MB card to another list member who has no access to a
serial connection to install software. However, after he did the restore the
files are there, but he gets an error "sorry a problem has occurred
(-48807)" when he inserts the ethernet card.
    The only difference between my backup Newt and his appears to be the OS
update.

Peter