Re: [NTLK] alternative interfaces - tou.

From: Woo Lee (vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 15:54:36 EDT

------------------
>There is so many advantages of the Newton concept over the traditional =
desktop computer that I wonder why no company does any research or design =
in this direction.

True. So Fujitsu is your next computer? ;-)
------------------
>1. The feedback between pen and cursor is much more direct than with a =
mouse
>or tablet, provided the screen calibration is good and no jaggies occur.

True. Sony has a touchscreen desktop that digital artists like because =
the pen feels like a brush.
The Qbe's pen is only a little bit better than my finger(index one).
------------------
>Even a tablet suffers from the sort of indirect feedback via eyes and =
screen.

True. The touchscreen is still a 'layer' above the tft.
------------------
>2. For many people handwriting is still the fastest way to enter text.

My Newt. can prove that one! :-)
------------------
>3. CAD would be a piece of cake in comparison to the existing user
>interfaces (e.g. AutoCAD). The Newton Works drawing shows what would be
>possible.

I tried a demo CAD on Qbe, W_O_W! :-o
------------------
>4. Digital artwork would profit as well. Unfortunately the Newton =
suffered a
>colour screen and anyway a much larger screen would be necessary to have a
>really useful touch screen desktop.

True. The current screen sizes would be sufficient.
------------------
>There's disadvantages too:
>The screen has possibly to be put horizontally or under a small angle onto
>the desktop and would take much more space than a kbd and mouse.

The screen is used just like the Newt., landscape and portrait.
The amount of space used would be just a quarter inch around the screen =
for support and to rest your hand(s).
------------------
>The screen has to be ruggedized and water thight. Consider the damage of =
a cup of hot coffee or bottle of cold beer spilled over the screen and =
going into the
>case...

Fujitsu and Panasonic has some that are 'field-ready', but $$$$.$$.
>Another problem might be the reflections of the screen from the lights =
just above each desk.
>--
>Marco

The adjustable stands take care of that problem. ;-)