[NTLK] Re - Dead 130

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 16:29:19 EDT

> Another Q (Dropped 130 <was Locale> I suppose)-
> I dropped my 130 and only=
> Sean Luke's experience with an unseated daughtercard (FAQ) saved it from=
> the dustbin. I pushed here & there on the innards which seem like they
can=
> come loose. It worked for a while. But now it's back to a 'dead' 130
again.=
> Which of the components is likely to come disloged? An how can it (they)
be=
> made to stay lodged?

This is the most common defect Newtons develop. To the best of my knowledge
only Dr. Netwon is currently able to fix it. This particular defect has been
discussed
here frequently, you might want to check the archives.
I doubt you'll find a dislodged component, I have scrutinizingly checked the
mainboards of nearly a dozen 130's with this defect under a very good
microscope
without finding anything. If you really find a dislodged component other
than the
ROM daughterboard, please let me
know and 5 bars of the best German chocolate I can get my hands on will be
on
their way to you the next morning.
If you are interested, I can put a MP120 mainboard in your MP130. That way
you'd lose the backlight (the 120 hasn't the hardware for it), but you would
at
least have a working Newton again.

Frank

Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de