Re: [NTLK] Dog in a manger.

From: SlashDevNull (slashdevnull_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 01:15:49 EDT

Salutations,

  Hmmm, How exactly is Steve 'boxing Apple users in' with the iPod? I
suppose you could try and make the point that Apple is boxing iPod users in
to a Macintosh. But windows and linux users can use the iPod just fine.
And I suppose within a few days Apple will release iTunes for windows with
iPod support.

  Apple is creating products that require a Mac. I don't see that as boxing
Apple users in. I see that as enhancing the Macintosh. Why should Apple
create a product that doesn't require a Mac? Steve seems to be trading
market share for exclusivity and best of breed going to Mac users.

  And Apple is not a monopoly. Not even close. Apple can do whatever they
want as long as they stay @ 5% of marketshare.

Cheers,
David