Re: [NTLK] Off Topic Question

From: SlashDevNull (slashdevnull_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 12:33:04 EDT

Salutations,

  While everyone is free to configure their computer as they see fit, using
RAID 0 for your boot drive and/or data storage is a _bad_ idea. Very bad.

  If either drive fails for any reason you will lose all of the data on
_both_ drives. When you combine drives in a RAID 0 you are effectively
doubling your chance for failure. Not to mention, you usually slow down one
of the drives. For example, say you have an older slower hard drive. You
add a fast new hard drive and combine the two to keep the same drive letter.
The faster hard drive will read/write at the same speed as the slower one.

  RAID 0 gives very fast writes and read but is only really useful for one
purpose, as a very fast scratch disk for such things as video editing or
image editing.

Cheers,
David