Re: [NTLK] Re - Our first Newtons

From: Pedro Hobbyfrazoo (pjfraser_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 01:21:22 EDT

i had an administrative assistant in the early 90's who also had some
procurement/budget powers. he bought one of the first newts so he could
learn it and thus be able to support our staff when they subsequently
got their own (officially - in reality he wanted the new toy!) - he
tried to use it to take notes in exactly two meetings, then tossed it in
a desk drawer. a couple of years later i salvaged it from that drawer
and took it home and kept it on our coffee table as a parlor game a la
Doonsbury. when i left that employer i returned it and forgot about the
newton.

then, the week after SJ discontinued it, i saw someone advertising a 120
for $200. i thought i'd check it out, and the HWR blew me away - got it
for $150.

the next week it was on my desk, open, with a piece of paper on top. i
leaned my elbow on it and cracked the screen. off it went to Dr. Newton
for repair; i immediately got online and found a 2100 a guy was willing
to trade for a Duo 270c and a DuoDock i had...and so it goes. now i'm
up to: omp, 110 clear case, 2-120s, 130, emate, 2000U, and the 2100.
and none of them before the newt officially died...hmmm.