Re: [NTLK] "Q Re-print" size poll

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 07:07:19 EDT

> Now, WHAT is it about these drawings?
> what can you do with it?
Hi Barbara,
imagine a technical drawing or a set of several drawings which describe the
form of a complex part like e.g. the Newton case. With that information,
more precise with the numbers on the drawings and all those arrows and
dimensions you can walk into any mechancial workshop on this world and have
a Newton case made out of a block of Aluminium. If the drawing is available
in digital format and even in three-dimensional version you could with the
right software control an automatic machine to make hundreths of beautiful
silver glossy metal cases or lids or whatever you want and sell them. The
set-up time of such a machine is expensive but any repeated and automated
work as well as the material itself costs nearly nothing.

As soon as I can get that part of these drawings which shows the lid and all
its dimensions I'll start a small series of either clear plastic lids or
Aluminium ones.

BTW, I was speaking with an expert for vacuum chambers from the APS near
Chicago. He had his vacuum chambers made from extruded Aluminium. This would
be exactly what we need. Extruded pieces are extremely straight and maintain
the glossy surface of Aluminium. They could be cut into pieces of the length
of the lid and with a simple machining process in a milling machine the
necessary cut-outs could be done to get metal replacement lids in mass
production.