[NTLK] Re - Speed increase, "stupid teacher mode" example

From: SuerthP_at_andersonnews.com
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 10:27:20 EDT

ah, yes but it will still be a marketing game above all else, visions of
Intel Infinium chip and the Moto PowerPC G-Google come to mind...

orig msg below...
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 23:06:52 -0500
Subject: Re: [NTLK] Re - Speed increase, "stupid teacher mode" example
From: Jim Witte <jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us>

   My smart-arse remark is that eventually the RIAA would sue them all out
of business..

   But as I was reading the example, I thought this could become a really
interesting discussion (somewhat OT) about asynchronous computing:
basically chips that run without centralized clocks, just specialized
circuits that keep data flow from one part of the chip to another orderly.
There was at least one roaring debate on Slashdot about the technical
feasibility of this (which looked rather intelligent and to-the-point, a
change for Slashdot..), which I skimmed mostly because I don't have a
background in chip design.. There was an article in the latest SciAm,
written by some tech wizard/visionary who predicts it will completely
revolutionize the industry (and make the Megahertz myth die once and for
all, as the chip won't *have* a fixed clock speed anymore), and said that
asynchronous chips are apparently already in use in certain specialized
settings by companies like Sun.