Re: [NTLK] Dot-mac overpriced - glee in the lawyers' eyes..

From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 15:13:10 EDT

On Thursday 18 July 2002 02:49 pm, Dave Christensen wrote:
> I'd like to add to your comments about a 'lite' itools.
> Considering a lot of it is a way to coerce people to upgrade
> to X.2, there still isnt a killer, must have thats better,
> app for X that wasnt on OS 9. That being said, my Pismo
> will be on 9 for quite some time to come.... Its also

<rant>
My wife's pismo is running X 10.1.x for the last year and I have to say, =
she=20
is much happier with it, than with 9.x.y. We used to have at least one cr=
ash=20
a day before and now, her machine has been up for weeks on end. I don't=20
think, she ever shuts it down at all.

However, Apple has (excuse my language) screwed us once again, as the mos=
t=20
important feature in 10.2, namely Quartz Extreme, will only run on NVidea=
 and=20
ATi AGP graphic cards. With the Pismo and even my TiBook 667 being Ati=20
Mobility cards, they can not take advantage of this feature, which means,=
=20
that performance on these machines will still suck - although, we spent o=
ver=20
$7000 for the two, excluding sales tax.
On top of all this, they have the cheek to ask us for anther $129, for=20
something OS X 10.0.0 was supposed to be when I bought my first copy in M=
arch=20
2001. Now they fixed all the bugs (hopefully) and made it marginally fast=
er=20
(10 - 15%) and I have to pay for that? Not even M$ has that much cheek ..=
=2E

I thought, I would never say this, but the machines we have now, will be =
the=20
last Macs I ever buy. The only reason why I'm not running Linux on my TiB=
ook=20
are, that I do not have programs under Linux, I can substitute iMovie,=20
GraphicConverter and iTunes with. Everything else runs much smoother and=20
faster under Linux than MacOS X will be in a long time.

Trying to reach Apple Tech Support is a nightmare. When I complain about =
me=20
TiBook overheating, I get told, that I have to send it in or that this is=
=20
normal (my figertips are being grilled [b-b-qued] constantly and I just h=
ave=20
to deal with it?). Maybe I should move to some cold place and use the mac=
hine=20
as an expensive hand warmer, but that's not happening!

What would keep me in the Apple camp? Right now, I can't think of anythin=
g ...=20
not even a Newton-like device would convince me right now, because when t=
he=20
next system upgrade comes out, I need to buy a new one, so I can use the =
new=20
system efficiently.
</rant>