Re: [NTLK] Kinetic energy charger for Newton

From: Nicholas Gillock (creamedpossum_at_carolina.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 00:33:25 EDT

I've got a kinetic watch. You may have trouble finding them, because
most companies now refer to them as "automatic" watches. I got mine
from http://www.fossil.com. I haven't seen one that charges a battery.
Mine just actually winds the watch. The back of the watch is a piece of
glass so you can see how it works. Basically, there is the pivot point
on the very center of the watch that needs to be wound up. If you
imagine a large disk on that with one half of it missing, that seems to
be all that it is. Just daily movement of my arm causes it to turn and
wind itself. Only problem is that it doesn't last more than about 20
hours on a good wind if you take it off. So every so often I have to
readjust the time. But I really like not having to worry about battery,
or have to wind up my watch all the time. I highly doubt you could get
enough power out of one to power a Newton. But who knows, electronics
get better every day.

Nick