[NTLK] Looking for OS 9.1 compatible version of Farallon Driver for 3Com Etherlink III card...

From: Ross Kuehne (ross.kuehne_at_ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 19:52:42 EDT

Greenways, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, England
Saturday, 20th July 2002 00:30 BST

Hello there,

Ross Kuehne here. I am a longtime member of the NewtonTalk mailing
list, though I usually remain in Lurk mode. Read every digest,
though.

I don't post all that often, but I recently saw the post about
hacking the Farallon driver to enable 3Com Ethernet cards to work on
a PowerBook 1400, and wondered if anyone can help me.

I recently picked up a couple of 3Com Etherlink III PC Cards
(3C589D-TP & 3C589D-Combo) on a web auction for use in my MP2100's.

However, I also have a PB1400c/166, upgraded to a G3/466, 48 Meg of
Ram, and a 5400 RPM 32 Gig HD, and would love to use these cards in
my 1400 which runs on OS 9.1.

The Rub? No 3Com drivers for Mac OS. Drat.

Or so I thought until I saw several posts on NewtonTalk. Eureka!
I'll just download the latest (2.2 & 3.0) drivers off the website,
and use Norton Disk Editor to hack the 'aral' to a 'Com ' and that'll
do the business. Effing Brilliant!

Unfortunately, having never used Norton Disk Editor (5.0) before, I
had difficulty in locating any occurrence of 'aral' after the first
one on the Farallon Extension. (Where's the bloody 'Find Next'
command??) Anyway, it wouldn't have made any difference if I'd found
it, because I subsequently discovered that NFE 5 can't edit HFS+
discs. And surprise, that's what my disk is initialized to.
Scuppered.

And then I saw a post offering to send the 1.1 driver to whomever had
asked about this.

Hence, I'd be truly grateful if Chris (or anyone else on the list)
can forward a copy of the same (or suitably modified subsequent
versions) on to me, as without this, I'm up that well-known creek at
this point.

(Alternately, I can supply the Farallon 2.2 or 3.0 drivers to anyone
on the list who has the means to modify them such that they can be
used by the 3Com cards.)

Many thanks to all, and all the best,

-Ross Kuehne