Re: [NTLK] OT: upcoming trip to Montreal: poutine advice needed

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.net)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 00:01:07 EDT

on 24/07/02 23:46, John Charlton at johncharlton_at_mac.com wrote:

>> Can anyone recommend a place in Montreal where
>> we might find the best example of this delicacy?
>
> Good thing you're asking, because there's a big difference between a good
> poutine and a bad one. Since the thread started I've been taking notes (on
> special Poutine stationery) but sadly don't get to Montreal enough and don'
> t eat much poutine when I'm there (you can have too much poutine,
> surprisingly).
>
> My favourite, since it was close to my apartment, was Patati Patata, though
> the curds and gravy only get two (out of three) stars they do score highly
> in the "Je ne sais quoi" category for a great location for people watching
> (corner of St. Laurent and Rachel) and they serve good beer, always a plus!
> Bit small to bring a family though, it's also a bit of a way from the 'Big
> O' as our lovely Olympic debacle is called. Don't even think about getting
> a poutine at the stadium!
>
> Not much help am I. Now if you were looking for Thai food...

Now that you're mentioning St. Laurent, I kinda remember a place at the
corner of St. Laurent and Ste. Catherine. Don't remember how it was called
and whether it's still there, though...

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                            <http://members.cox.net/nemesys>
Logiciels Nemesys Software                            mailto:nemesys_at_cox.net

code police n.: [by analogy with George Orwell's `thought police'] A mythical team of Gestapo-like storm troopers that might burst into one's office and arrest one for violating programming style rules. May be used either seriously, to underline a claim that a particular style violation is dangerous, or ironically, to suggest that the practice under discussion is condemned mainly by anal-retentive weenies. "Dike out that goto or the code police will get you!" The ironic usage is perhaps more common.