Re: [NTLK] OT: upcoming trip to Montreal: poutine advice needed

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 15:08:33 EDT

On 25/07/02 12:13, "Pedro Hobbyfrazoo" <pjfraser_at_mac.com> wrote:

> ok, then, tell me phonetically how to say "poutine"!!! is it "poo-teen"?
>
> my wife would be quite unpleased if our order were to arrive, say,
> wearing fishnet stockings...

Ah Ah Ah Ah! I think you're right, you pronounce it "poo-teen", while putain
is more like "puh-t-en" (not sure how to write that sound in English). You
probably know what I mean. There are quite a lot of words in French that use
that sound, but I can't think of one in English. Most English speakers will
say or emphasize the "n", but in French, it's silent, you don't pronounce
it. Hard to explain, and probably hard to understand to a few...

-Laurent.

bytesexual /bi:t`sek'shu-*l/ adj.: [rare] Said of hardware, denotes
willingness to compute or pass data in either big-endian or little-endian
format (depending, presumably, on a mode bit somewhere). See also NUXI
problem.