Re: [NTLK] Emate display ribbon damage

From: Humphreys, David (URB) (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 11:06:09 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Blazer [mailto:m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca]
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2002 10:41 PM
To: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
Subject: Re: [NTLK] Emate display ribbon damage

>To which I replied that I was interested, and I figured there are enough
>similarly afflicted eMates around to make it worth his while. With a little
>promotion it could be good for hundreds of orders, with more eMates biting
>the dust every day.

>I know PCBman was busy with other projects then, but maybe this is a good
>time to raise it again? What do you say, David? And can we have a show of
>hands of all those who have eMates with damaged display cables?

>Michael

Well Michael, et al,

Here is the story so far:

I have completed the design files for the flex cable (no brainer) and
I have submitted them to a fab house for quote.

It really depends on how much I can get them made for that will decide on
whether I go ahead or not. Many of you, at one time or another, have
expressed interest in one or more of these cables. The initial tooling is
likely to be ~$1000. Not bad if I sell 200 and amortize the cost but a little
disconcerting if I sell only 5!!!

Now this is in addition to the piece price that could be ~$50 (please don't quote
any of these figures as I don't have firm quotes yet.)

Your initial interest is encouraging but I need some firm commitments, Guys.

If each of you who would DEFINITELY buy one or more would email me at:

pcbman_at_ix.netcom.com">http://pcbman_at_ix.netcom.com

and tell me how many you want, this would help to make it happen.

Make the subject: Flex cable

Oh, and please don't include anything else other than this info as I have
to read them all.

As soon as I get some firm figures I will let you all know.

I hope that I don't get accused of 'gouging' ;)

Regards,

PCBman