Re: [NTLK] I'm done with the ATA thread.

From: Joshua Johnston (flagg_at_midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 11:43:14 EDT

Wow. I try and end the thread, wake up to 10 messages from the same
person. Woo. Give it up. I never said I wanted a 'free ride'. In fact,
I repeatedly said if the price were lower, I'd consider paying even
though I really didn't need it. I asked people who -did- need it, and
only one person has responded with a comment about the Newton plugin for
iTunes. One.

Was I a used car salesman? Huh? A salesman tries to get every dime
they can for a product. I was a careful used car -buyer-, which is a
more appropriate analogy. When I bought my car, I got what was the best
value for the money I could afford, and talked the price down as low as
I could. Wound up paying $5750 for a car with $6995 on the window,
because the recognized blue book value was $6000 and the lot was
desperate to get rid of it (Mazda sedans don't sell well in CA). Paul
can charge what he wants, yes. But the value against other options has
to be there for it to be worth buying for any reason other than "I like
Paul", in which case I think people should just send Paul the money, and
hope he lowers the cost for the whole community. However, he's decided
he wants to limit his sales in order that he won't have to do as much
support according to his email to me last night. I replied, but it
bounced for some reason. He can do that. He's got the right. I have the
right to say it's a shame.

I've been accused of a lot of things relating to my knowledge of sales.
I spent most of my childhood in one of the most active and flexible
buying and selling environments known to man. Not the stock market, but
the flea market. My father was an antique and rare book dealer. I
learned about the laws of supply and demand there, and I learned how to
price things for maximum sales figures.

When I said it was "two lines" that I said which started this whole
thing, I was right. I said two lines, and got jumped on repeatedly so
posted further explanations. This should be a lesson to you, Woo. Read
the whole list of messages before replying to them one at a time. I
didn't spend more than 10 seconds skimming each one. If you're going to
get into a flamewar, at least know how to do it right. ;)