Re: [NTLK] My Newton and I need a new friend ...

From: Joshua Johnston (flagg_at_midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 12:08:20 EDT

Right now, there really aren't a lot of fundamentally -different-
options out there for a PDA. Largely, it depends on your budget. Palm
devices of all types do feel rather limited, especially in comparison to
a Newton, though prices among the Palm models seem to be in the "lower"
end of the spectrum. The PDA I use for my contact and meeting
management currently is an iPaq 3135, which is a grayscale device. It
was also $150 when I got it new. PocketPC is not a great handheld OS,
but if you're not using the card sled with it, the device is indeed
quite small and lightweight. Battery life is excellent as well, having
served for nearly 8 hours as an MP3 player on a bus ride to NYC. Also,
unlike many other handhelds, the iPaq line (at least when I was looking)
included flashable ROM. Some offerings from Casio, and Sharp may not.

If you want to avoid PocketPC based devices and Palm based ones, you
might want to take a look at the Sharp Zaurus. Some of the high end
models run a Linux-based OS and are quite nice, and the low end on the
Zaurus line can get quite low indeed, to the point of barely having an
OS at all. Right now, if I had $600 to blow on a PDA (right), I'd be
looking at the latest Sony PalmOS device. The one with a twist-and-flip
LCD, keyboard, and built in camera. That just feels -nice-.