[NTLK] 1904 date was: Re:Repeating To-Do items-HE

From: William Ove (wove_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 17:53:44 EDT

I think the date, Jan 1, 1904, is more universal in computer programming
than just Apple. It is my understanding that it starts with 1904 because
making it start with 1900 would have required a more complex algorithm
to allow for the fact that not all years divisible by 4 are leap years.
By starting with 1904 a simple algorithm would allow for correct date
computations for the next 196 years until 2100 which is a sequence where
every year divisible by 4 is a leap year even the century.

My PM8600 reverts to some time in 1956 when its battery dies. I am not
sure of the significance of that date, but I assume it also was chosen
based on the convenience of some computer algorithm as well.

William Ove

Subject: Re: [NTLK] Repeating To-Do items-HE
From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_mac.com>