Re: [NTLK] attention deficit

From: Joshua Johnston (flagg_at_midmaine.com)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 18:52:05 EDT

Hmm. When I was a kid in 2nd - 4th grade, I think the biggest thing
that could have been done to help me cope with my ADD would have been an
introduction to methodical problem solving. I'm very good at thinking
"around corners", and some things like computers are so simple (in my
eyes) as far as maintenance and repair go, that my ADD isn't even
noticeable there. However, even though I got high marks in programming
and other college courses (save for algebra) and graduated with honors,
I still don't think I have the mindset for it, simply because methodical
problem solving was never ingrained into my thought processes.

Once I did get access to computers (in 5th-8th grades), I became a much
different sort of student. I've been reading at high-school level since
grade school, and typing came quite quickly to me. When I was in
college these past two years, I used a laptop (first an IBM thinkpad and
then a 500Mhz iBook) for as much as possible. I definitely think having
the ability to learn computing basics from the "ground up" helped a lot.
After managing a Commodore 64 and DOS 4.11 and everything since, there's
not an OS that frightens me other than things you'd find on big iron.
My ADD has definitely helped me adapt quickly to things I enjoy like
computers. I can try and evaluate several possible solutions while your
typical MCSE is still leafing through books trying to find the word
"troubleshoot".

Unfortunately, my ADD was completely untreated from 3rd grade until I
was 25. No therapy, no lifestyle management, no medication. I took
poorly to Ritalin as a child, but matured to handle it quite well.
Apparently Ritalin is one of those things that'll either help a child
significantly or completely screw them up. The only way to know is to
try. As adults, many children that didn't work well with it are just
fine.

ADD is really a lifestyle for people who have bad cases of it. My case
is so strong that I'm actually receiving social security, though expect
to be free of it within the next year or so. Kids need to understand
that ADD isn't necessarily a bad thing, but that it will mean a lot of
adjustment in early years, adjustments that can lead to a much smoother
life in the future.

Ugh, long rant. Sorry. :)