Re: [NTLK] Do I need the Apple AC?

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.net)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 10:41:04 EDT

on 31/07/02 11:29, jrackley at jrackley_at_electronicbingo.com wrote:

> Just curious, if I were to purchase a messagepad missing the AC adapter,
> could I just run down to radio shack and get an adapter that would work with
> it? Or would I specifically need the apple version?

You can basically use any adapter, as long as the power characteristics are
acceptable for the Newton. So, you have to watch for the voltage and
current, and also make sure that the tip's polarity is right. Quite a few
things to match. If something is not appropriate, you could fry your little
green friend. And out of specs adapters can also kill him. Out of specs
means that, even if the adapter is rated for specific voltage and current,
cheaper ones will deliver way more than what they're supposed to, which
could be harmful to your Newton. That's why I guess the vast majority of
users only use Newton specific adapter.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                            <http://members.cox.net/nemesys>
Logiciels Nemesys Software                            mailto:nemesys_at_cox.net

fiber-seeking backhoe: [common among backbone ISP personnel] Any of a genus of large, disruptive machines which routinely cut critical backbone links, creating Internet outages and packet over air problems.