Re: [NTLK] [OT now] The OQO should have been the new Newton?

From: John Goggan (jgoggan_at_dcg.com)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 08:45:49 EDT

Laurent Daudelin wrote:
> Sorry, but I have to disagree here. I maintain my wife's PC, and she
> often complains that when waking up the computer, the screen doesn't
> come up, or trying to logout, something seems to be stuck somewhere,
> and that's on a brand new Dell that came pre-configured with XP,

Not to be rude, but I really hate these kinds of arguments. People blaming
Microsoft and/or the OS in situations where it very likely isn't their issue.

Granted, it could be -- but I've just seen no real evidence of that. In our
office, we have numerous machines in a mix of XP and 2000. None of them have
the problems you are describing. Several of them are Dells -- although we did
install XP ourselves.

> not that someone did hack around.

Your belief that coming preinstalled from Dell means that no one "hacked
around" with it is inaccurate. In the past, Dell has done quite a bit of odd
customization to their releases -- I wouldn't be surprised if they did it with
XP too. Heck, Dell even has odd hardware with custom drivers preinstalled
(like for the "help" or "e-Dell" button on the front of the machine). We've
found that driver to be unreliable and have removed it from our machines.

I'm not saying that is related -- I'm just saying that just because it was a
pre-configured Dell does not mean that Dell isn't doing things that they
shouldn't.

> So, after doing a little research on the net about the problems she
> is having, I realized that XP was maybe the most immature product
> that M$ ever released.

That'd be like me saying that the Newton must be an immature product because I
have a few that have misalignment problems. If I go and search some archives,
I'll find lots of people with misalignment and/or "jaggies" problems.
Therefore, the product must be immature? No, I don't think so.

Again, no offense intended -- but I think you are generalizing some problems
that are more likely hardware or 3rd-party configuration related and blaming
the software maker for them...

 - John...

P.S. No one get this wrong. I'm not saying MS is the best stuff out there.
I'm just saying that they often get attacked for whatever is wrong with
someone's computer when it commonly is not the OS's fault.