Re: [NTLK] Greek Fonts 'n Unicode

From: Daedalus Guy (daedalus_guy_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 13:37:51 EDT

Paul--

>>If you only want to type data and print it, use whatever you like (it
won't work with Laser Printer, though). <<

Actually, my non-Unicode encoded NewtGreek font prints perfectly to my laser printer from my Newton. I just printed out a page this morning to make sure. I know the Newton has traditionally had some font-printing problems, but I can't remember the exact details. I think laser printers will print out bitmaps just fine, no?

>>Well, the thing is that I'm waiting until having a good unicode Greek
font to update alt.rec.... to support Greek input with something
similar to nJIM support (i.e. you write some roman and it will
display Greek by translating, if required using a dictionary). <<

I see where unicode would be a great advantage to doing this.

>>I strongly disagree about that. Unicode is the only encoding allowing
you to have both Latin (with accents) and Greek text.<<

Well, you could always use two separate fonts. I know what you're saying, but . . .

Here's one example. Last night I downloaded the Athenian font to try it out (on MacOS X). As an end-user typing Greek words, it sucks. It literally has every possible different accent/letter combination on a different key. Now, I'm not sure whether this is the fault of unicode or Greek Keys (or both--I just assumed Greek Keys was an input method for the Athenian unicode font, but maybe I'm wrong there), but it almost makes the font unusable for any practical purpose (other than text importing). I really don't mean to rant, and I can understand the utility of having all possible character glyphs in one huge resource (ie, the unicode tables)--but it seems to me that the advantage of unicode is mostly from a system/standardization perspective, and it seems to be a disadvantage from an end-user perspective (ie, someone typing a paper in multiple languages).

It seems to me that we're looking at the font issue from two opposite sides. You prefer a standardized unicode font to allow importing of vast amounts of Greek documents from various sources and translation. I'm looking for a Greek font that people can actually type with on word processors.

I don't mean to belabor this discussion--but it's all very interesting to me!

>>This is the main problem. I haven't figured out how to make accents
and breathing (?) (not sure of the English word for the little sign
above first rho/vowel of words). <<

Yeah, we call them "breathings" or "breathing marks". "Rough breathings" make the "h" sound (such as over the rho). "Smooth breathings" don't make any sound.

--Daedalus
http://www.digitalinkwell.net/