[NTLK] [Slightly OT] Apple Laptops

From: Michael Mays (chaosmonk_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 23:27:00 EDT

I have a habit of coming full circle on things I buy. I started my=
 computing career in 1st or 2nd grade on an ancient Apple system. In 7th=
 grade I was given a Macintosh Performa 600CD to play around with;=
 unfortunately it spent more time in the shop than on my desk. Since then,=
 I've used Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows=
 Millenium, Windows 2000, and Windows XP (briefly, thank god) in that=
 order. I now am in a position to retire my aging Sony laptop to my=
 fiancee who is a teacher and can use it better than I can, and replace it=
 with a spiffy Apple laptop, thus completing the circle and becoming a Jedi=
 like my father. I'm hoping for some suggestions.

The laptop I get must be able to connect to my Newton. Though I don't have=
 much trouble getting it to work properly with Windows 2000, my computer is=
 way too fast to use the backup feature and I don't really want to eat up=
 space on my flash cards.

It also must have excellent battery life and a spacious hard drive. For=
 that reason, I was considering a 700MHz iBook or a 667 G4 Powerbook. I've=
 been wanting to try OSX for a while, and I see this as my chance. But=
 what benefits would a Powerbook give me over an iBook (besides the obvious=
 more spiffy appearance and faster processor)?

Or would you guys suggest looking into getting a slightly older laptop and=
 working on that? Not my preference, but that's why I'm asking for=
 suggestions. I've been out of the Mac gene pool since OS 7.1. :)

Your help is, as always, much appreciated.

Michael Mays