Re: [NTLK] Do I EVER need a serial cable?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 17:20:44 EDT

On 11/06/02 17:07, "Jason Galarneau" <jgalarneau_at_iprimus.com.au> wrote:

> I'm in the process of purchasing a Newt 2k and am wondering if I will
> need a serial dongle adapter thingy for anything? I won't be using an
> external keyboard and already have an ethernet card to synchronize with.
> The one thing that occurs to me is how does one install the ethernet
> drivers onto the Newt if you can't connect to the desktop? It's like a
> Catch-22 situation. Any advice would be appreciated.

That's exactly it. If you don't have a dongle, then it'll be hard to load
those drivers. You could try finding someone in your area that would load
them on an external flash RAM card, but if something ever happens and you
need to load those drivers again, you're out of luck. Better try to find
one...

-Laurent.

elephantine adj.: Used of programs or systems that are both conspicuous hogs
(owing perhaps to poor design founded on brute force and ignorance) and
exceedingly hairy in source form. An elephantine program may be functional
and even friendly, but (as in the old joke about being in bed with an
elephant) it's tough to have around all the same (and, like a pachyderm,
difficult to maintain). In extreme cases, hackers have been known to make
trumpeting sounds or perform expressive proboscatory mime at the mention of
the offending program. Usage: semi-humorous. Compare `has the elephant
nature' and the somewhat more pejorative monstrosity. See also second-system
effect and baroque.