Re: [NTLK] [ot][soccer][or football][whatever]

From: Lou Forlini (lforlini_at_sspi-software.com)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 14:07:04 EDT

At 12:03 PM -0500 6/12/02, Stephen Jendraszak wrote:
>Yes! Exactly! It is like hockey. There is no tension. No
>bottom-of-the-9th, full-count, bases-loaded situations. There are the
>players, just running around one second, and the next, the ball is the
>goal. Who'd a thunk?

Stephen,

    I guess it's all in how you define tension and how you like your
sports. I thought the England/Argentina match last week was quite
tension-filled, after England decided to try and hold on to their 1-0
lead by playing a defensive game for most of the 2nd half. Too bad
for Argentina their striker was better at kicking the ball over the
goal than into it.

    I gave up watching football years ago, because a 60-minute game
takes 3 hours to play, and you don't even get 60 minutes of action.
Soccer is continuous action, substitutions are limited, and the
players have to be in incredible shape. On the other hand, my Dad
used to watch golf because it was "relaxing" :)

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini
      Software Engineer
      System Support Products, Inc.