Re: [NTLK] Re[2]: Re[2]: Re[2]: Convincing argument against MS

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 13:06:34 EDT

On 13/06/02 12:32, "Bradford Schmidt" <brad_at_bradfordschmidt.com> wrote:

> Thursday, June 13, 2002, 12:26:35 PM, Eric wrote:
>

>> on 6/13/02 12:11 PM, richard_at_cyberphotographer.com at

>>> ...so graphics are slightly slower than they might be in special
>>> circumstances but otherwise everything works well.
>>>

>> I think the bone of contention is that there are a far-from-negligible
>> number of folks who would say you should replace 'slightly' with
>> 'substantially'...
>
>> - Eric.
>
> And should replace "special circumstances" with "when you use
> quicktime, or imovie or any 3d stuff".

Brad,

I know you have your Wallstreet (or was it a Lombard) in mind, but the OP
was mentioning a Pismo. Hardware OpenGL is supported on Pismo. The new
Quartz Extreme won't be because of its higher graphic requirements (32 MB
VRAM, etc.).

-Laurent.

creationism n.: The (false) belief that large, innovative software designs
can be completely specified in advance and then painlessly magicked out of
the void by the normal efforts of a team of normally talented programmers.
In fact, experience has shown repeatedly that good designs arise only from
evolutionary, exploratory interaction between one (or at most a small
handful of) exceptionally able designer(s) and an active user population --
and that the first try at a big new idea is always wrong. Unfortunately,
because these truths don't fit the planning models beloved of management,
they are generally ignored.