[NTLK] [OT] Help with my site

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 14:18:32 EDT

Would some of you having internet access try to access
<http://nemesys.dyndns.org/> and return me your result? I have a B&W G4 at
home that has personal web sharing running. It's connected to the internet
through a LinkSys Etherfast router. The Macintosh is configured for static
IP address with the router, since to use packet forwarding, I have to
disable the DHCP server function of the router.

I'm asking because Tuesday, while the router was still running as the DHCP
server on my network, I was able to access my web site. Yesterday, I wasn't
able. Since the doc of the Linksys specifically mentions that in order to
use forwarding, you have to disable DHCP and assign IP addresses manually to
each machine, I did change the setup on all the computers at home and
everything was working fine. I did map all packets received by the router
from port 7 to 200 to be forwarded to my web server.

Even with that, I'm unable to access my web server from work. I'm pretty
sure that the record at DynDNS.org is accurate, so it should re-direct the
HTTP request to address 68.100.24.245, which is the address of my machine.

Now, I'm not sure if our firewall here at work is acting up, or if there is
something wrong with my setup. I'm with Cox, and another factor is that I
wouldn't be surprised that they somehow block those requests, preventing you
from operating a web server through their service.

Thoughts? Ideas? I'd like to have this machine at home becoming my web
server. I'm not the most proficient in networks, but I think I know enough
to be able to configure that thing.

Thanks in advance!

-Laurent.

bytesexual /bi:t`sek'shu-*l/ adj.: [rare] Said of hardware, denotes
willingness to compute or pass data in either big-endian or little-endian
format (depending, presumably, on a mode bit somewhere). See also NUXI
problem.