[NTLK] Anybody a lawyer - getting the battery molds from BTI..

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Sat Jun 15 2002 - 21:30:20 EDT

   Is anybody here a IP lawyer or know one? I'm trying to find out if
there's any reasonable chance I could get BTI to sell me the molds for
the discontinued NT-2000 battery. I called them and talked to some
engineer person, who either didn't understand what I wanted, or
proverbially "laughed me out of the parlor". He also hinted that the
production was done oversees (something about "the molds being made
oversees") so for all I know they may be sitting in some warehouse in
China.. or melted down to be recycled.

   At the small business seminar i went to the other day, the instructor
person said that she thought there would be licensing issues involved,
which would make it prohibitively expensive - which I think is nuts
since the Newton hasn't been made for 5 years and probably never will be
made again, certainly not with that exact battery configuration - but
hey, I'm not a management type ("but NOOO - that IP is worth *money* to
us!!")

Jim Witte
jswitte_at_indiana.edu
After Midnight Lizard