Re: [NTLK] Anybody a lawyer - getting the battery molds from BTI..

From: Chet Johns (cjohns_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 01:10:11 EDT

I wasn't going to add anything but...I had a jeweler, who knew I had an
interest in computers, show me how he took an artists illustration, played
with it on a computer to give it 3D relief then with the push of a button
had a separate machine make a plastic 3-D replica for him to examine. He
would make any small modifications on his computer model then another
machine would create a mold. He said he produced the thousands of insignia
rings awarded the Desert Storm soldiers (I'm not sure if it was a nationwide
contract or just Fort Bragg) in a couple of weeks. The operation was smooth
enough to produce special order one of a kind rings and medallions as well.
He said it used to take up to a year to do the same work by hand. Pretty
slick. And that was several years ago.
-Chet