Re: [NTLK] [OT] HP LaserJet 5MP Problems

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 02:24:27 EDT

on 6/16/02 3:22 AM, Mark Ross at markr13_at_comcast.net wrote:

> Most laser printers (5MP included) use cartriges that replace both the
> toner and associated hardware (light sensitive imaging element and
> various toner pickupa and transfer rollers) so that a cartrige
> replacement will fix the imaging problem. The paper feed is another
> matter. Many times, especially with HP printers, the rubber rollers will
> become hardened or dented in one position and not function properly.
> These can be replaced, but with an old printer, it may be difficult to
> find parts.

My thoughts on this. If the drum is a part of the toner cart, then your
problem may be with the toner fuser roller. (It comes after) I found one for
my Apple LW IIg for about $10. It took me about 30 min. to install.

As for the rubber, I've got this problem, and a quick running over with
cotton swabs and alcohol usually gets them going again for a few months. I
have noticed that I have fewer problems in the winter, and more in the
summer. I think heat and humidity make the paper more resistant to going
into the printer... They are already too hot, and don't want to get any
hotter. ;-) It may be possible that you can even find the rollers cheap as
well. Since you paid nothing for this printer, I would think that $50-$75 in
parts wouldn't be too bad a price to pay. :-)

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side.