Re: [NTLK] [Slightly OT] Apple Laptops - <sigh> system performance

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 10:39:18 EDT

on 6/17/02 3:19 PM, Eric L. Strobel at fyzycyst_at_comcast.net wrote:

> There have been lots of debates on this over on the Duo/2400 list. Without
> cache, the 2300 Duo doesn't nearly take full advantage of the PPC and the
> still fairly extensive 68k code even in 8.1 really put the hit on it. I
> think a reasonable 'average' of opinion is that 8.1 on the 280c can at least
> 'feel' as fast as on the 2300. Depending on how you prune it and tweak it.

I forgot about that. The 1400 suffers a similar fate. When I gave my wife my
1400, she complained how the 1400 felt slow compared to her Duo 280c.
Strangely, the 1400 is running 8.5.1 or somesuch.

Thanks for the ideas for the keyboard. Maybe if it had a decent keyboard, I
would actually _use_ it. :-)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Newton talk...

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry