Re: [NTLK] Newton Sighting/Sale at WAP Show

From: Lou Forlini (lforlini_at_sspi-software.com)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 21:16:05 EDT

At 12:16 PM -0400 6/17/02, David Abramowitz wrote:
>So there I was expecting just to find Mac stuff, and there's this vendor
>selling a stock 2000 w/keyboard and case, modem card, and the rest, for $20!
>So I tried to turn it on, and it wouldn't, so I walked away. Then another
>guy comes by and buys it - turns out it was charging, and didn't have the
>battery pack, so I figured it was dead. Sucks for me - I would have liked
>to have a backup...oh, well.
>
>On the bright side, I did get to meet Sean Luke, who stopped by to say
>hello, and demo a host of Waba stuff to me that was very cool, as was he.
>Another lurking list member, Lou, was also at the vendor table next to me.
>
>You never know what you'll find...but "you snooze, you lose" definitely rang
>true.

    What Dave's not telling you is that it was my brother who had the
next table over who ended up getting the 2100 for $30. So we spent
most of the morning wiping up all of Dave's crocodile tears :) JUST
KIDDING! Anyway, I'm still trying to figure our how that
"non-working" Newton went from $20 to $30 after Dave looked at it.
Even at $30 it was a crazy deal, like Dave said there was a real
Newton case, keyboard, modem card, an extra stylus, and a bunch of
software and manuals. It'll probably be up on eBay at some point
since my brother is a known Palm defector.

    It looks like I missed meeting Sean by about 20 seconds, drat.
That's what I get for taking a break to wander the room.

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini
      Software Engineer
      System Support Products, Inc.