Re: [NTLK] I just got a Newton! And now for some questions.

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Jun 21 2002 - 03:19:19 EDT

on 6/21/02 7:27 AM, Nicholas Gillock at creamedpossum_at_carolina.rr.com wrote:

> The Newton has very little software. My powerbook is a G3
> 333mhz computer. I don't have a clue how to connect them. I have been
> reading all of the online FAQ's and I've found it can be done basically
> through serial, IR, or Ethernet. My problem is, I don't have serial,
> and to use one of the other two methods, I have to first get some other
> piece of software onto the Newton, therefore running my in circles.
> I'll probably end up getting the SER-001 things so I don't have to worry
> about a dongle (I hate dongles!). But how do I get it connected to the
> powerbook to install software on it

You are certainly right--more than a couple of questions! ;-)

I will try to tackle the physical connection part, as I was in the same boat
you are in. My Newton didn't come with a dongle, and I really needed to get
some software on it. I discovered Thomas Templeton's NewtonDIL tester. It is
on the UNNA archive, I believe, which someone else posted. Download that,
and you should be able to use the infrared port on your laptop with the
infrared port on the 2K Newton. You didn't mention which Newton you have,
but the "jaggies" issue suggests a 2k model, so I'm going on that
assumption.

You will need to make sure that your infrared software is installed and
running on your laptop, including the IrDA. If it is, then it should be a
breeze. Turn your Newton's screen upside-down via the rotate button (makes
it easier to work with when doing IR work), and stick the two computers' IR
ports face-to-face, and initiate a connection in DIL tester on your Mac, and
then start it from the Newton. You will get a window, with a button on the
bottom, that says something like "install package." click that, and do what
you want. My only problems were that the IR wasn't recognized at first. I
had to open the control panel, which complained about the lack of hardware.
But after I closed the CP, everything worked fine. Go figure. Hopefully this
will get your Wallstreet, or whatever Powerbook you have, working with your
Newton for installing packages.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland