Re: [NTLK] [OT] up in the sky

From: Mark Bock (markbvt_at_adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 12:07:53 EDT

>My biggest grins are...
>=2E..747-400 banking towards the landing strip a few hundred feet above =
>me. %-}
>=2E..F-15D with 50+ft. of 'orange tail'. :- ]

Yep -- an F-16 with full afterburner is pretty impressive as well --
pretty amazing to see that big orange shock diamond in broad
daylight. And there's nothing quite like the roar when an F-16 on
full afterburner flies by. Sounds like the sky is being torn open.

>=2E..anybody got a F-104 I could 'borrow'?

That guy (can't remember his name) who tried to pull a crashed B-29
out of Greenland a few years back (there was a Nova special about it
-- painful to watch because they put massive amounts of work into
restoring this B-29 to flying condition on location -- one of the
team members even dies -- and then as they're about to take off the
B-29 catches fire and is destroyed) built himself an F-104 out of
spare parts. Yikes!

Among my biggest grins are seeing the last remaining flyable B-29
banking over downtown Burlington on final approach to BTV, and seeing
a TBM Avenger flying along the beach, maybe a few hundred feet up, a
number of years ago. Modern aircraft are cool, but WW2 aircraft in
flight bring a lump to my throat.

--mark

--
. . . . .
mark bock

"A youth who can't hit a cathedral at thirty yards with a Gatling gun in three-quarters of an hour, can take up an old empty musket and bag his grandmother every time, at a hundred." --Mark Twain

PGP Public Key: available at http://www.armchaircommando.org/key.html PGP Fingerprint: 1A59 BBB7 DF23 9FEC 5897 5C7B 7703 78FB CC33 6ABC