Re: [NTLK] Keyboard for the future

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 18:44:05 EDT

>Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:25:14 -0400
>From: PaulMmn <PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.com>
>Subject: [NTLK] Keyboard for the future
>

>How would you like a full-sized keyboard for a Newton that fits in your pocket
>without folding or rolling??
>
> http://www.vkb.co.il
>
>Looks like whiz-bang technology. I wonder how long the batteries last??

Too bad that I am somehow missing the plug-in to see the picture, but
I guess I read about this before. It's a black box projecting red
letters, right?
The idea is most promising, as it eliminates the need for a keyboard
in a great many cases, which saves a lot of space & cost. Your iBook
could be all screen(a little thicker, of course, and with some sort
of fold-out stand in the back ;)) with the keyboard beeing projected
on back of the latch that usually covers the screen. If that iBook's
screen was now also a touchscreen, and the latch able to also fold
(newtonlike) *behind* the iBook... OMG, it would be a tablet, but it
would also have a keyboard... Steve, Steve, did you hear about this?

Troublesome:
- It lacks haptical feedback.
- You need a flat surface, so even if you do not have to bring your
keyboard anymore - if you want to type on your knees you will need at
least a piece of cardboard o.e..
- The whole thingh has to be horribly fast and use multiple
senders/receivers to be errorproof.

Oliver :)

--
BIG BUSINESS IS A JUNGLE, AND THE APPLE NEWTON IS YOUR MACHETE